On a personal note... Skin Cancer Part III

Hi friends! I have been a bit under the weather, but wanted to share a few updates with you. First and foremost, thank you so much for your continued emails, comments and support during this "trial" I am going through. It means so much to me to hear from you. Thanks for checking in and sharing your thoughts with me. I am an optimist by nature and I believe I will ultimately overcome this battle.

I grossly underestimated how difficult my recovery time would be. It took me several weeks to be able to turn my head from side to side. Simple, every day things became a challenge. I had so many meals brought to my home in the days after surgery, which I truly appreciated and was so thankful for. A funny story; my neighbor brought me the most delicious turkey chili one night in her lovely all-clad pot (literally). The unfortunate part was that I could hardly hold on to the pot, due to lack of strength. She was so cute the way she had organized the condiments in Tupperware containers and Ziploc bags. All I kept thinking was "Oh please don't let me drop this pot! Please don't let me drop this pot!"

I no longer take for granted reaching up to my adjustable showerhead and ensuring it is secure, prior to taking it off the arm. I nearly knocked myself out a few times in the shower; which was cute! I never realized exactly how animated my facial expressions were; I am sure I have felt every single muscle from every, single expression I have made since October 2nd. Trust me, I make a lot of faces! I had no idea! Even swallowing became a chore. I find I am still having some trouble looking all the way up and down, but I can report it is getting better! Slowly, it is getting better; and that's a good thing.

My little guy can tell you I was relying on him quite a bit. He was an enormous help to me; especially while driving. Yes, I know what you are thinking! I quickly learned to differentiate my instructions when I asked, "Are there any cars coming sweetheart?" The "differentiation" of "cars" came to include bicycles, motorcycles, RV's, campers and anything with wheels! I would like to apologize to anyone who might have been cut off in the past few weeks by woman who looked "like Sponge Bob doing the Robot" and her darling 8-year-old co-pilot son in the Hudson Valley... I am terribly sorry!

The adorable "Sponge Bob" description comes from none other than my little guy when he very amusedly watched me switching the laundry one night with a very stiff neck and said "Hey Mommy, do you know who you remind me of?" Hmmm... this could be dangerous territory. "I have no idea sweetheart, whom would that be?" and he quipped "Sponge Bob doing 'The Robot' - you know old school, 80's stuff." I am sure I have no idea what he is talking about!

On a little more serious note, I had another section of skin cancer removed from my back last week. Pain, makes me a little bit cranky and I admit this has been quite an ordeal as of late. The best way to stay on top of skin cancer, is to be vigilant; to ask questions. Most of all, to believe it will get better. Again, I am encouraging you to seek answers to your concerns; no matter how small you think they might be! ASK! Were it not for my "cheering section" I would not be able to get through this. I laugh at myself because while my little guy might think I look like Sponge Bob, at least he didn't say I remind him of Patrick!

Best!

Comments