Broken Leg: Eat a Frangelico Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Cupcake with Hazelnut Coffee Cream Cheese Frosting



Hi friends! I have been on a "coffee kick" lately ~ can you tell by my recipes? Like everyone else, I lead a very busy, sometimes overscheduled life. Last week, my 70 year old Uncle was skiing and had an unfortunate accident on the moguls and broke his femur! Yikes! Not one to be down for long, I am happy to report he is doing quite well. While I am certain he would prefer to be out conquering the trails and double black diamonds - for now he will have to stick to trail mix and the vertical drop on the height of my frosting!

I know my Uncle really likes hazelnuts, so I began taking stock of what was in my pantry! In an attempt to make him feel better, I came up with this recipe after tweaking a chocolate chip muffin recipe. I added some Frangelico and sour cream for a mouth watering combination and I think it really works! The cream cheese frosting added enough depth in flavor, you can really taste and appreciate each individual flavor seperately. The added crunch of the hazelnuts is a nice surprise and finally, the ooey-gooey chocolate chips are just like a chocolate chip cookie!!

Overall, the cupcake is delicious. It began as an experiment. I think I would make the recipe again! I did make a batch of "minis" as well as a batch in medium sized "nut cups" in case the cupcakes came out too rich, then it would not be too much of a commitment once the cream cheese frosting was added. This recipe might taste good with a buttercream frosting as well! I hope you enjoy it too!

Best!


Frangelico Chocolate Chip Hazelnut Cupcakes

2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups packed light brown sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 Tbsp. instant espresso coffee
1 stick salted butter, cut into pieces
1 large egg
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/4 cup Frangelico (or other Hazelnut liqeuer)
1 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
2 cups (12 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
1 1/2 cups chopped hazelnuts

1. Preheat the oven to 350° degrees.

2. Line cupcake pans or spray with non-stick spray. Set aside.

3. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium speed mix flour, brown sugar, baking soda and espresso powder to blend. Then add in the pieces of butter until you have small pea sized pieces and loose flour remains in the bowl.

4. Mix in the egg, vanilla and Frangelico (or other Hazelnut liqeuer). (Note the batter will still look bumpy.)

5. Mix in the sour cream and milk and blend until the batter looks very moist and lumpy. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to incorporate all the batter.

6. Fold in the hazelnuts and chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.



7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean. The tops should spring back slightly to the touch. Cool on a wire rack.

8. VERY IMPORTANT: Cool cupcakes completely before frosting!

Hazelnut Coffee Cream Cheese Frosting

1 (8 oz.) brick cream cheese, room temperature
2 Tbsp. evaporated milk
1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/8 tsp. salt
2 cups confectioners' sugar
2 tsp. instant espresso
4 tsp. Frangelico (or other Hazelnut liqeuer)

1. In a medium bowl beat cream cheese and evaporated milk together until smooth.

2. Add remaining ingredients and beat until smooth.


3. Fill icing bag and pipe onto completely cooled cupcakes. Sprinkle with hazelnuts.

Comments

CB said…
These sound amazing! You should enter them in the Cupcake Hero contest! This month is liquor... so perfect right? Link to CH on my blog. :)
-Clara
http://iheartcuppycakes.com
Cakespy said…
Oh lordy, those look so good--the shot with the "innards" looks so gooey and fantastic.
Tempered Woman said…
I can't believe I haven't posted a comment yet! I'm so sorry~ I guess I got a little too excited copying and pasting the recipe~ HA! I really like Frangelico. So adding coffee and chocolate is just too divine. Thanks for such a great entry!
Sue said…
I just found your blog. Those cupcakes look oozingly good...Can't wait to try them.