Week 1: Grassy Football Cupcakes


My son turned 8 years old on January 5th and he happens to be one of the biggest New England Patriots fans, I know. When I asked him what kind of cupcakes he wanted me to bring into school for his little class party, it did not take long for him to answer me "Can you make footballs, Mommy?" Pictured above is the creation I found to make just for him.


I frosted the cupcake in a chocolate buttercream first and dyed a buttercream with Wilton Gel "green" to make the "grass" around the chocolate. I then piped the edges with white for the laces. If the frosting gets too runny, add some more powdered sugar to make the frosting more stiff.

Best!

Basic Chocolate Batter Recipe

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 3/4 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 eggs
4 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 cup boiling water

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and slowly whisk in wet ingredients. Pour into cupcake cups, bake 17 minutes. When toothpick comes out clean cupcakes are ready.

It is important to allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting with buttercream.


Comments